Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Candy Cane Mantel

Remember when I mentioned that I was tired of my old, worn out decorations and  that I was going to plan a red & white theme this year?

The following is something similar I saw this past fall that started my wheels turning ....



Isn't it sweet?!

No more heavy, chunky stocking holders on our mantel while we have little ones in the house.  Last Christmas morning, a sweet, little neighbor boy ended up in the ER getting his head stitched up after having one fall down and clock him in the head.  His scar gave me a better appreciation for my husband's warnings from previous years...."They are going to kill somebody!"

Okay.  I'm going to "use the P. word" as my friend Tiffany commented a bit back (and had me laughing out loud)... Another Pinterest idea.

The original idea suggested using them to dress up a plain window.  I just switched the focus onto our mantel.



I found the large, shatter proof ornaments at Hobby Lobby (six pack for $11.00 then had a 50% off coupon) and the ribbon came from there as well.  ($1.50 for the sale price on ribbon.)  I recycled my old garland from outside, and the hooks to hold up the garland came from the garage.  So this whole project came in under $10!!

Ummm...can you tell how much I was shooting for "simple" in my decorations this year?

Oh!  And our stockings?  We will hang them on the staircase banister with care this year :)

Advent blessings~

Patty

 

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love it. We use those removable 3M hooks to hang the stockings from the mantel. They can hold up to 5 pounds and we haven't had one heavier than that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Patty! I love the colors... And I know what you mean about those heavy stocking holders! We didn't put ours up for that same reason this year. I was just too afraid one would fall off! I never thought about hanging them on the staircase...thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, Patty!! So sweet. I wonder if they are plastic? I'm tired of our decorations too, and you might just be inspiring me to get a little creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Gardenia. The stockings are plastic.

      Delete
  4. It's so fun and festive Patty! Simple and cute is the way to go... and you nailed it! I can't imagine a stocking heavy enough to cause an open wound? We do not have a mantel, staircase or stockings so I'm in the dark on that on :) Happy Advent to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Noreen! It was the stocking holder that goes on top of the mantel. It has a hook so one can "hook" the stocking onto it. They are quite heavy and if the stocking is pulled the wrong way, down they tumble.

      Delete
  5. Looks great!

    We always tape up the stockings over the mantle. The stocking hangers are heavy, aren't they? I guess they could really pose a head injury threat to little ones reaching at whatever they can get their little hands on. Good thinking to ditch them for this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte mentioned those 3M hooks. Another good idea.

      Delete
  6. Love your garland! We just use plain ol' finishing nails for our stockings. They leave a small hole but not one anyone would notice and we reuse the same holes year after year! If my banister was long enough I would consider that a great idea though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sweet and simple..."P" word and all:-) Prayers for your neighbor boy that got clunked, poor lil guy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cute!! It's okay- I have no shame in loving Pinterest. Good thing I don't have more time to spend on it or I would have to give it up- it could become addicting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No more heavy, chunky stocking holders on our mantel while we have little ones in the house. Last Christmas morning, a sweet, little neighbor ... mantelstocking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails