Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Sensory Overload!

I took the kids to the  Texas State Fair last week.

I told David I was dreading it...(you may  know what I mean.)

With a LOT of planning, we did it!

******************************************

* Free home school passes!

* Packed our sandwiches for dinner, snack food, and water bottles in a back pack.

* Pre-set ticket limits for kids.

* Kids had a buddy system.

* Picked a few shows and mapped everything out the night before.

****************************************

We crammed in our schooling, ate lunch, and then packed up and headed out for the afternoon & evening.

We saw  so!  much!  food!  and tasted a few things as well ;)


Top left::  deep fried s'mores.  (Um...seriously good!)

Bottom right::  deep fried moon pies.  (No bragging rights for this one.)

Bottom left::  deep fried cheese cake (A winner.)

They girls each picked out one fair food and then we all tried a sample of it.

Stan chose home made root beer, which he loved.  (We didn't share his root beer once I saw him spit soda back in the cup! )

Ester wanted to see the African Acrobats.

We watched as one went down low...

(He actually walked on the sides of his feet to move!  Amazing!)


And then up again...higher and higher...


( I'm taking photos from behind...we found shade behind the stage.)

They put on a great show!


Next up were the Chinese Acrobats.  Sally and I wanted to see their performance.


They worked very hard to entertain the crowd by making their stunts look so effortless.

We saw different bands performing as we roamed the grounds...

(The fiddler playing is the 6 time National Fiddle Champion!)

(Can't remember the name of this awesome blues band...but they rocked!)

Mabel wanted to see the pig races.


Meet the beauty, Liza, who weighed 950lbs!  

Nope.  She didn't race, but she is still growing we were told.  Hubba-hubba!

Sorry about the blurry photo.  I was holding Clementine while she was trying to grab my camera.  

The pig races sure where cute and had the kids laughing the entire time.

And we can't forget about the Midway!!  


(Above: The bottom right picture is a new swing ride.  SCARY.  I pictured one of the kids breaking off and flying across the Dallas skyline!)


I had some who wanted to go it alone...

And a couple of them had a need for more speed...

Clementine and I just hung out.  She, by the way, was a perfect angel...and never napped once.  David and I have come to the conclusion, she loves action.

The Starlight Parade was on the top of our list.  And it came at the end of the day, obviously :)


Leading off the parade were Dallas' finest and some of our country's finest!  I just loved the USMC Bugle Corps!

And the floats were so beautiful!

Here's a few examples...

(Medusa on stilts, an Under the Sea float, and a dragon float.)

And finally, at 7:45pm, we were done....stinky and sweaty....a little sunburned....barking dogs....very happy....kind of done.


I'm so glad I mustered up the courage to take them by myself.  We all had a blast!

The kids are already talking about next year!

~  Patty  ~

15 comments:

  1. Oh Patty...what wonderful memories you made for them that day! And isn't it the best to have that little one to snuggle while you stand back and watch!I often wonder what I will do when I don't have a stroller to push or a diaper bag to hold... Wonderful pictures! Thanks for sharing! Happy Tuesday, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is a fair! More like I remember as a kid. Sadly, ours is not much of a fair anymore. And deep fried s'mores! I am so happy for you that it turned out to be a wonderful day of making memories with your kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am almost always happy when I take the kids to an event on my own...it just takes a lot of mental preparations, don't you think? Looks like it was an amazing experience for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a good mom! Your children will hold on to these memories for years to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Noreen. You know, I still have very fond memories of heading out as a child to the county fair. :)

      Delete
  5. You are Wonder Woman!! What a brave Texas mama you are, Patty! I got overwhelmed and exhausted looking at the photos just imagining doing it all with all kids on my own. PHEW. You rock!!

    What beautiful photos and so much fun you must've had. I wish I could've shared the food with y'all :) Today that looks just yummy.(It's kinda been one of THOSE weeks already)

    Another fun adventure full of memories for all. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, my kids were awesome, that's what made it so doable. I have to give them the kuddos :) Thanks, though! When Gianna and Greta are a bit older, you'll be doing the same and will have some amazing helpers in your older kiddos :)

      Delete
  6. wow, what a day. i love the parade!! that must have been quite a challenge rallying the troops and keeping them all together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What a fun time! I love all the pictures. I cannot believe that pig is 950 lbs!! We are going to the state fair this weekend, and I am so excited! :) Have a good week Patty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, now that's a state fair!! Those snacks look yummy. I have heard about all of the deep fried treats that show up at fairs. The shows and the parade look awesome! So glad you all had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely a good time had! I know I get very overwhelmed when I go to a store with all my lil' rascals. Congrats on your outing and field trip Patty! You seem to have such a beautiful time making so many memories. I love the dog race and pig race as well. We are piggy fans in our casita. I know if we were neighbors I would have joined you, with a little prayer for safety and patience.
    blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Let me try this again! (I deleted the previous post because I thought I had made a mistake!)
    So funny that Stan spit the root beer back in his cup! I think he did that so nobody else would want some! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are brave...as I say that knowing darn well that as the wife of a fire fighter I more than likely will do our own state fair by myself! Mary and Benjamin joined 4H and so if they place at the county fair for any of their exhibits then we're off to the state fair next summer! Good for you, though, it had to be exhausting!

    And...I noticed you got a pic of Big Tex! Good thing, huh?!!!

    Blessings,
    val

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantabulous Fair day! Good job making lots of great memories, Mama:) Those precious smiles are priceless. Love the photos on the rainbow slide...so colorful and they captured pure fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails