Sunday, October 7, 2012

Little Tikes Make Over

When I saw this on Pinterest, I knew exactly what I was going to do with the one we had in our backyard.

And here it is...


This table has been washed and painted and then had cotton material as well as a vinyl material stapled over the table top and the bench seats.

Isn't it a cutie for Clementine's bedroom??!!

I purchased 2 cans of spray paint at Lowe's and used almost all of it.  They were about $3.50 each.

The fabric came from JoAnn Fabrics and I purchased vinyl from there as well.  I used 3 yards of the floral pattern and 2 yards of the vinyl material.  (Also used a 20% coupon).  My total came to $21.34.


First, I took it apart and scrubbed it down.  My husband drilled holes in the bottoms of all the pieces since they all had water in them.

It took about 1 hour to dry on one side before I could flip it over to paint the other side.  Plastic can't absorb anything so the legs actually took 48 hours to completely dry and harden.  I propped them up indoors for that drying process.

Note:  Since these legs are plastic, I do expect the paint to eventually chip off here and there.


Don't forget to paint this piece hidden under the table...


(One had broken off, but this one I left in place.)

Then it was time to staple the material.  My husband had to adjust his  pressure gauge on the air compressor so the staples would not shoot completely through.

We covered the table top and the benches with the floral pattern first.  Then we measured, cut, and attached the vinyl material.


We folded and stapled as we went along.

Note:  I purchased a 12 gauge vinyl material.  I wanted to protect it from tearing.  The downside... it is more difficult to fold around the edges than a smaller gauge material.  Our edges weren't perfect, but it will definitely hold up better.

With two of us working along side each other, this process of measuring, cutting, and stapling took about 1.5 hours.

You can see some creases in the vinyl material on the benches.  This Little Tikes table is the larger one.  The benches are curved (grrrr....).  It was the best we could do.

I just love how it looks in Clementine's bedroom!


Oh, and I had to point out these two pictures on the wall...


My mother-in-law had given these to me for our nursery when Sally was born.  I saw them and mentioned how I had similar prints.  She told me that those were actually cards and that my husband had made the frames holding them when he was a young teenager!

I was so happy to take them off of her hands ;)

Happy Sunday!

~  Patty  ~

8 comments:

  1. I love it that is so cute and works so well in that cute little room. Thanks for the link to my site! Great tutorial!
    Thanks again,
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo cute! Love that you got a little piece of David's teenage years!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is adorable. I can just see little Clementine coloring at her table or having tea parties with her sisters! I love those prints- I had a similar one in my room growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I SO admire that kind of handy work since I am severely handicapped in that area! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea! I just threw out this table over the summer. ugh! I think your table and nursery are absolutely adorable! Great job! blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great! What a cool idea! I just love it!! I'm sure it took some effort, but it looks wonderful! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails