Thursday, September 13, 2012

Thank God it is Thursday!

Which means tomorrow is Friday.  Praise the Lord!

It was shaping up to be one of my busiest weeks ever.

And the Lord knew just what I needed.

A sick child.  An honest-to-goodness blessing in disguise.  Isn't that awful of me??

Oh, I feel bad that she feels bad, but her illness actually cut out half the craziness that would have surely reeked havoc in our lives this week.

What we did accomplish...


~  Tae Kwon Do

Ester, Mabel, and Stan are signed up and ready to learn!

They can all attend the same class on Monday evenings....when David can take them.



~ Science

We LOVE Apologia...swimming creatures of the sea.

Their lab kits rock!  So worth the $$.

One of their recent experiments was to examine how "blubber" protects you from the arctic waters.

They put two latex gloves on one hand, one on top of the other.  They timed themselves to see how long they could "stand" the icy water.



The next step was to take the other hand, place a latex glove on, coat it thick with Vaseline, place a second latex glove on top of that and then time how long they could keep the "blubber" hand in the icy water.




~  Moms Night Out

Love this night.  Love my lady friends.

~  Allergies

They are putting the squeeze on my kids and myself right now.

Sally has been out of swimming all week long.  After a visit to the pediatrician she should be feeling better real soon.

~  Youth Group

Kick off party at our parish for 6th-8th graders.

We are blessed to be able to teach our children catechism at home and are still welcomed to join in other festivities at the parish for their age group.



~ Little Flowers

We revamped our group's schedule for this year meeting the second Friday evening of each month.  (The only good evening for all the moms).

Tomorrow kicks off our new year and I signed up to teach the first meeting,  Little Flowers ::  Wisdom.

Having no creative juices left to squeeze from my brain, I headed over to Shower of Roses to see what her group did for this subject in the past.

I improvised a little since I started planning only 5 days ahead...


I found these journals over at Michael's for $1.50 each.  Since they didn't have plain white ones, I thought the mums were pretty for this time of the year.

As Jessica did, I wrote on each one 'Wisdom of the Saints'...


They can use these journals to write their favorite quotes from their favorite saints.  I think the Little Flowers will enjoy these :)

I will have them attach the prayer to the Holy Spirit on the inside of their journals.  



And since Friday is the feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, I made these to bring as a snack...


I got the idea from Waltzing Matlida.

My favorite cut out cookie recipe can be found here.  And I cheated on the icing...I just bought some Wilton cookie icing that came in a bottle.

NOW do you see why I was glad Sally was too sick to swim this week??!!

And to wrap it all up...I now have to get ready for some little girl in our house who will be celebrating a birthday on Saturday.  Goodness.  I think I need a glass of wine!

Have a wonderful weekend and a blessed Sunday!

~  Patty  ~

8 comments:

  1. What a week! I totally get that sick thing- it seems like you can't stop, and then you have to. Sometimes you just need it.

    Why reinvent the wheel- Jessica's ideas are lovely and I am sure she is happy to have them used. I am always so glad when I can rely on someone else's brain power!

    I love seeing the pictures of dad and the kids doing science. They really look like they are having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Patty! What a week...and congratulations, you made it! It is funny how some weeks just seem to be crazy busy, isn't it? We are fighting allergies here as well. As much as I love this fall weather, I could do without the seasonal allergy effects it brings with it. Hope your daughter is on the mend soon.

    I love all your ideas. I especially adore the cross cookies. So beautiful... And how great is it that all 3 of your littles can attend the same Tae Kwon Do class. Even better ...your husband can take them! I love that Steve is Rhett's soccer coach. That means he is in charge of all practices! : ) Hope your daughter has a great birthday and you all have a wonderful weekend!

    PS enjoy that glass of wine! You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! your week sounds like mine! Love the journals, they are perfect and the cookies too. Can't wait to see TKD photos, my kids will be thrilled. Enjoy your weekend, your glass of wine and the birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a crazy week last week, and I remembered thinking (more than once) "if only" someone would get sick so I could cancel a few things! ;) Thankfully everyone is still healthy, and I somehow managed to survive the week!

    I'm so glad that you were able to use the journal idea! That's why I share them, to hopefully save another mom a little bit of time! :) And the floral covers are beautiful - just perfect for Little Flowers!

    And I COMPLETELY agree on the Science Kits... Totally worth the money! I finally purchased our first kit last year - after skipping so many of the experiments - when we were studying birds. And then purchased the kit for Swimming Creatures this year. My kids all love studying about the ocean and, with the kit and journals, I think this is going to be one of their favorite subjects this year!

    Hope your daughter has a wonderful birthday this weekend! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are one busy mom Patty! The timing of your sick child was perfect!! Hope she is feeling better. I love the expression on your children's faces as they do the blubber science experiment. A great hands on learning activity. Dad is a trooper too for participating! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, you have had a crazy week! I absolutely love that journal idea! I'm definitely going to keep that in mind for future groups!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Must have been busy week, week! Jim was out of town so I had to tackle a craziness solo. I hope everyone is feeling better soon, enjoy some time to yourself this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that was busy but SUCH quality! Love your LF journals and cookies...Sounded like a great start to your year! We kicked off on Mother Mary's birthday and have our first formal meeting the Friday I'm coming to you. Hope your all on the mend from illness and allergies!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails