Sunday, July 8, 2012

Smorgasbord Sunday

I told my family that July will be our relaxed and laid back month.

Sure.

We definitely got off on the wrong foot.  

* Two sick kids = two doctor appointments.  (Both on the mend.)  The doctor appointments can shoot a half day, can't they?

* School material ordered.  (For those of you who do not home school, ordering books can be a big job.)

* July 4.  The only relaxed day, spent over at Clementine's godfather's house with his beautiful family.


* Phone meeting with pastor.

I wanted to  review his approval to have sacraments taught at home.  (Sally is starting second year Confirmation preparation.)  Praise God for supportive priests!!!

* A belated Kindergarten "graduation" celebration over cookies, Kool-Aid and a gift of Legos.


* Clementine is quickly learning that table time is a social time.  She only had eyes for the cookies that everyone (but her) was eating.




* Gymnastics update!  I have found a new gymnastics club.  ASI Gymnastics that teaches a recreational, home school class once a week, and guess what?  Mabel AND Stan can take the class together!

* Van shopping.

My beloved Sienna has 71,000 miles.

We had our first major repair last year.  A silly (EPA required) charcoal canister decided to stop working.  

$900 just for the part.  Yes, $900.  And this EPA required canister that went out did not compromise the safety or integrity of the vehicle.  The kicker?  It is only under warranty for 36,000 miles. 

So the question is, how much money does one throw into a vehicle that already has high mileage?  Do you shop for a different vehicle or take a gamble?  We decided to shop.

BTW, Texas has some stiff emissions tests each year on each vehicle.  If you do not pass the test, you do not get your window sticker.  No window sticker = a citation.  (We would have failed the test if we had not replaced the part.)

(Taking a deep breath as I say type this...) I think this week will be more quiet...I hope :)

Have a peaceful & relaxed Sunday!

~  Patty  ~


3 comments:

  1. You certainly are off to a busy start. That ordering books thing is a big task, isn't it? I'm currently working on ours for the fall. I started to stress about it last week and now have been taking some time every evening to flip through catalogs and clicking online. I think I may just about be ready to make our purchases.

    What great news on gymnastics!! So glad to hear it.

    Ahh...van shopping. I do that all the time. Super easy to do when I do it with my eyes and don't actually have to pay for looking :) I will say that my eyes are drawn to the Swagger Wagon (Siennas), but not sure the pocketbook will be when it comes time. We are rolling on 91,000 miles on the Dodge Caravan and I think will stick it out for a bit. It's paid off, hasn't given us any major trouble and currently holds the whole family. Should circumstances change, perhaps the van will as well. I always like to look, but get very stressed when we are actually in the market and have the sticker shock. Keep us posted on van shopping...I'm always interested :)

    I hope you had a wonderful Sunday and that your July quiets down a bit.

    Give sweet Clementine a kiss from me. I just love her preciousness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ordering the curriculum...kind of an ongoing process for me. I'm always on the lookout for supplementals after the big main purchase.

    I always think that July will be a calm month and then God has other plans. I guess we just learn to roll with it and be flexible, right?

    Good luck on the van. My best advice is to buy used. We found a place that resells shuttle vans and had a good experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I said (July being a relaxed month)!? Not happening here either. So sorry you've had sick little ones. Hope they are feeling better by now! I haven't even looked at curriculum and that stresses me out. Good for you getting it done...Yay! Good thing you captured some cute smiles...Stan is the man:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails