Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Red, White, & Blue Birthday Cake

Happy Birthday America!




I saw a picture of this on allrecipes.com and wanted to give it a try this year for our July 4 celebrations.  The whipped cream topping and fresh fruit made this a lite and refreshing dessert!

Ingredients

1 yellow cake mix
1 (8 ounce) container of frozen whipped cream  *I made home made whipped cream - see recipe below*
1 pint blueberries, rinsed and drained
2 pints fresh strawberries, rinsed and sliced

Directions

1.  Prepare cake according to package directions and bake in a 9x13 inch pan.  Cool completely.

2.  Frost cake with whipped cream topping.  Place blueberries in a square in the corner.  Arrange sliced strawberries as stripes to make and American flag.  Chill until serving.

Whipped Cream

Ingredients
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp confectioners' sugar

Directions
1.  In a large bowl, whip cream on med-high until stiff peaks are just about to form.  Next, beat in vanilla and sugar on high until peaks form. Make sure not to over-beat, cream will then become lumpy and butter-like.

The cake was so easy to make.  Sally actually baked it the night before, David made the whipped cream topping, and I assembled it right before we had to go out the door to our July 4 celebrations.

*I made an extra batch of the whipped cream and piped it under each strawberry.



God bless America!

~  Patty  ~

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for you comment on my blog! Nothing gets me more twisted then some crazy comments about our Priests! They carry the cross of the worlds doubt and I will be dam*&^. :) Hahahaha!

    Beautiful cake! Must we celebrate before that is stripped from us too! :)

    I should back away from the computer! hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you find the time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!! And looks delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I love how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This looks sooooo good!! Now I'm hungry!!

    I just wanted to let you know I awarded you the versatile blogger award!
    http://www.crafolic.com/2012/07/award-and-7-things-about-me.html
    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh and thanks for your prayers for Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I "heart" flag food:-) Looks yummy, Patty!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails