Sunday, February 12, 2012

Post Partum Pre Eclampsia

Have you ever heard of post partum pre eclampsia?  

Me neither.

I hadn't been feeling well and dismissed my symptoms as post delivery headaches and allergic reaction to narcotics I was sent home on.

This past Thursday, at my two week post op check up, my blood pressure was pretty high.  I spent a few hours there watching it bounce up and down before being sent to the lab for blood work and home with a bp cuff to self monitor.

It only continued to rise at home.  

It topped out at 171/109.  

That's when I was readmitted to the hospital.

It about killed me to leave Clementine.  

I was admitted and received i.v. Magnesium drip for 24 hours.  All I can say is that Magnesium is WICKED!

If you have had pre eclampsia and received Magnesium, you know what I'm talking about.  I felt as though I was run over by a truck (four times).  

Magnesium is used to prevent seizures.

The loading dose is a 30 minute "toxic" dose followed by a nonstop  "therapeutic" dose.  I had to lie in observation for 4 hours while they monitored me  (IE. urine, blood, and vitals.)  When I was stabilized I was given a private room.

I was released late Friday night.  At that point my bp had dropped and bounced between 130-150/ 70.  Good enough to be released but still too high for my normal.

I usually run a bp of 95/55 so I was put on bp meds for the next six weeks.

I think it is safe to say that David is quite stressed out at this point.

But I must point out and focus on the blessings.  

We had an army of angels who came to our rescue.  A dear friend (7 1/2 months pregnant herself) drove 40 minutes to come and take care of Clementine till 1:30 in the morning!

Others rallied with prayers, additional meals, offers of childcare help, etc.

My family is truly blessed with wonderful friends!

So I'm home now.  Resting.  No bed rest but just taking it easy, self monitoring my bp, taking my medication. I still have some residual Magnesium left in my system which seems to slowly want to leave my system.  Other than that, I am praying for some "normal" to come back into our home.

I would very much appreciate any prayers you can send my way for a healthy recovery and that there are no more road bumps.

I must admit, while trying to offer up the pain and suffering for pour souls in purgatory, I was also asking God if He would be so kind as to enlighten me a bit on this journey.  Because it seems to be one step forward and two steps backward.  (I prefer the straight forward approach myself :)

~  Patty  ~


16 comments:

  1. I imagine David is a "little" stressed. I've heard of prenatal pre-eclampsia. Thankful they caught it when they did. Check that blood pressure and call immediately if it gets high again!
    Prayers (as always!)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear! I had pre-e even after Joe was born (it usually goes away with delivery of the baby.) It. was. awful. They put me on the mag before my c-section and it was pure hell. I was burning up and so so SOOOOO thirsty, but they wouldn't let me drink in case I did have to go into surgery. That stuff is just awful. I'm sorry you had to go through that. It is scary stuff! My blood pressure remained high for about 5 weeks and thankfully Procardia brought it down. Have you ever had troubles with your blood pressure before? It's so weird how it can just spiral out of control, just like that! Prayers for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never had an issue before with BP. My normal is on the low end. I remember your story and was thinking of you!

      Delete
  3. Oh my! Praying for a quick recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man! You kind of think that after the delivery, all that's left is to heal up. So sorry that you are having to endure this. I'll be praying for your body to heal. Please rest as much as you can and let others care for you. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. God bless your perseverant heart, and David's!! and I imagine your girls have been a big help to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been praying and will continue so that the road to complete recovery is filled with a smooth ride. Cannot imagine how tough it must have been for you leaving your family and also feeling that awful! Hoping for much better days ahead.

    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've really been through the wringer. Lots of prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I have never heard of this. I can't imagine how you must have felt. I believe that leaving the kiddos at home had to be the hardest. That baby is just too much. So beautiful. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying, of course!! I am so sorry that you had to go through all of that. I am sure you were hoping for a little lull in your life. So glad and thankful for your army of angels.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my! Praying for you and for Clementine to get right back into the swing of things. I know what you mean about liking the straight forward approach! Will pray for enlightenment too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good Lord! SO sorry! HBP is scary and I will be praying for you. Thanking God that you are hopefully thru this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, yes, you've had your share of the Refiner's fire! Prayers continue for you and especially for your peace. Your story about your Army of Angels was so heart warming. It makes me wonder if I'd ever have such support?...That really is an amazing blessing, Patty. God bless you and your dear warriors too:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My goodness, I had pre-eclampsia with my first but never got that bad. I truly feel for you. I will be keeping you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry to this Patty! I had pre-eclampsia before my first child was born, but I didn't know someone could get it after birth. Praying you feel better soon and everyone pulls together to continue to help you out! God bless your beautiful family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. OOPS! So sorry to *hear* this Patty!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails