Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Just When You Thought It Was Over

New Year's Day I  opened the fridge and found cut out dough...from the week before.  It had been sealed tight and I just couldn't let it go to waste.



So I baked snowflake cookies.  (Ha ha!  I baked while David was at the store stocking up on all fresh fruits and veggies for the vitamix again!)


And Ester decorated them with (canned) cream cheese frosting.



And I swear to you, these are THE best cut out cookies you will  EVER  sink your teeth.

The secret ingredient is a dash of nutmeg that make them taste divine!

*I received this recipe from my oldest sister about 9 years ago and have never used anything else since!

Ingredients:

1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter (softened)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 2/3 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup sour cream

Directions:

1.  In a separate bowl add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg.  Set aside. 

2.  In a mixing bowl blend shortening, butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla until creamy.  Gradually add the flour blend mixing slowly.  Finally, mix in the sour cream.

3.   Refrigerate at least four hours before rolling out on a well floured surface with a floured pin.  *I always let these chill over night.  Cut out.

4.  Bake at 425 degrees F. for 6-8 minutes or until sides start to slightly brown.  Place on cooling rack.  Frost and decorate when completely cooled.

I always double this batch and still only get 32 cookies from it.  But that is enough for our family.  I also use the recipe from fall through winter with any cut out cookies we make.

 
Happy New Year!

Patty  ~

4 comments:

  1. Yum, these sound great! As we were hit by the Influenza bug (regardless of getting flu shots) we missed Christmas. (Thank goodness Baby Jesus still arrives!) Anyway, we've been getting our baking on over here too!

    Blessings for a peaceful 2012,

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks a lot like my recipe. It's the real butter and sour cream that make them so yummy. We have the remaining cut-outs on our kitchen counter...I think I've had half a dozen (or more)today...yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have really enjoyed your cookie recipes. The ricotta ones were such a big hit. These look great as well. When I am feeling up to it, I may give these a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice idea and i am chocolate lover my website its for chocolate lovers and it has a lot of information about chocolate.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails