Sunday, December 11, 2011

Italian Christmas Cookies

When I was a child, my mother baked and baked and baked the most mouth-watering Christmas cookies throughout the month of December.

She would freeze them until it was time to make the cookie plates for all the elderly neighbors.

I LOVED bundling up in my winter coat and hat and stomping through the snow to deliver to these neighbors that have long since passed away.  All of my siblings did.

****************************************************

I mentioned before that I LOVE to bake at Christmas and pass around cookie plates to the neighbors.  So this year, even though I'm limited on activity, I picked out a few easy ones that the girls can help with.

My elves have been busy in the kitchen.  I'll be posting some recipes (and pictures) this week of some yummy treats that are making their way from the oven to the freezer until it is time to wrap and pass them along :)

***************************************************

Italian Christmas Cookies

I posted these last year with the title Cookies For A Crowd.  They are so scrumptious (with Ricotta Cheese) and yield 7 dozen.

I made the dough last weekend and chilled it overnight.  Ester baked them all the following day.





Ingredients:
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

Frosting:
1/2 cup of shortening
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 to 4 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 to 4 tablespoons milk
Colored sprinkles


Directions:
1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Beat in ricotta and vanilla.  

2. Combine flour, salt and baking soda:  gradually add to creamed mixture.  

3.  Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets.  Bake at 350 degrees F. for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.  Remove to wire racks to cool.

4.  In mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.  Stir in vanilla.  Add enough milk until frosting reaches spreading consistency.  Frost cooled cookies and immediately decorate with sprinkles.  Store in refrigerator.  

Yields 7 dozen cookies!


Advent Blessings!

~  Patty  ~

9 comments:

  1. I have been trying to figure out Christmas baking. #1- it has been years since I have done much. My daughter (married) is a baker extraordinaire, so she took charge for many years. Now I need to figure out how to get in the swing of things. #2- I don't want to begin feasting until Christmas. I don't want to do too much pre-baking or I know I'll eat it all!!

    At any rate, I am going to try this recipe! My mouth is watering just reading the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurie, I have the same problem with the eating part :) I immediately put them into containers and stick them in the freezer (out in the garage). Out of sight, out of mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those sound great! I'm not baking this year, but I'm going to save the recipe for later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to bake, especially at Thanksgiving and Christmas. this sweet treat looks so good. hope wonderful you have young ladies to help!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmm, I have some ricotta sitting in my fridge just waiting for something exciting to happen to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patty, we made your Italian cookies last year and they were so yummy. I definitely plan to bake them again this year. Hope you are having fun watching your crew baking this Advent. Have a JOYous week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmmmmmmmmmmmm nice posting and i am also chocolate lover see my blog where you find a lot of information about chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  8. These were such a hit last year- making them again for a cookie exchange on Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them! They are a hit in our house as well. And since the batch makes so much, you have a bonus!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails