Friday, November 11, 2011

A Twist on the Jesse Tree

I have been SO excited to write this post and share with you the Jesse Tree Ornament Swap that our homeschool group just completed.

One of the moms in our group, Laurie, worked very hard at organizing this and making it happen.  (Thank you so much, Laurie!!)

*Basically, we signed up to participate  (back in August)  and then she divided us into groups and assigned ornaments and the amounts of each that we were to provide.*


1.  16 moms signed up to make and share 28 Jesse Tree Ornaments.

2.  Laurie broke the group into 2 groups of 8.  (Group 1 and Group 2 totaling  the 16 moms)

3.  We were each assigned 3 ornaments to make - 8 of each one. (That gave us 24 ornaments.)

4.  4 people from each group were randomly selected to make 1 additional ornament - 8 of that one. (This gave us the total of 28 ornaments.)

5.  Then she sent out the corresponding, daily Bible verses to each of us.  (The scripture quotes are from the Revised Standard Version.)  You can find the bible verses and symbols here.


Graciously, another mom in the group, Camille, offered to take photos of each ornament for me since I'm on limited activity and could not make the party.    (Thank you, Camille!!)


Take a look at the creativity!

Day 1.  In the Beginning - Earth

Group I

(Black/space themed scrapbook paper with wet coffee filter and markers/ water paints laminated)

Group II



Day 2 The Fall - Apple & Snake

Group I


(Ornament apple with material for snake glued on.)

Group II


(Apple ornament with pipe cleaner glued on.)

Day 3 Mother of All Living Things - Mary

Group I


(


Group II


(Image of Mary attached to painted piece of wood, use of Modge Podge, decorated with tiny beads.  Gorgeous!)


Day 4 Noah and the Ark - Ark & Rainbow

Group I


(Puffy clay cut out, baked, and crafter's wire with beads for rainbow.)

Group II




Day 5 The Blessing of Abraham - Camel & Tent

Group I


(Miniature camel ornament with tent made from stitched, purple felt.)


Group II


(Pre-cut camel painted.)


Day 6 Sacrifice of the Son - Lamb

Group I


(Cotton on cardstock.)

Group II


(Stamped lamb with clear, glitter glue.)


Day 7 Joseph in Egypt - Colorful Coat

Group I


(Two pieces of cloth glued on a doll hanger.)

Group II




Day 8 Passover - Doorway with Blood

Group I



Group II



Day 9 The Ten Commandments - Tablet with 10 Numbers

Group I



Group II



Day 10 The Promised Land : Canaan - Cluster of Grapes

Group I



Group II



Day 11 Bronze Serpent - Stick with bronze serpent

Group I


(Stick with snake made out of sculpty clay, glazed with Modge Podge.)

Group II


(Clay snake on stick.)

Day 12 Jonah - Whale

Group I

\
(Felt whale with button eye.)

Group II



Day 13 Ruth and Boaz - Sheaf of Wheat

Group I



Group II



Day 14 David and Goliath - Slingshot

Group I


(Felt slingshot with painted clay ball/rock.)

Group II


(Florist's wire with rubberband.)

Day 15 God's Forgotten Scroll is Found - Scroll

Group I


Group II



Day 16 Prophecy: A Shoot From the Stump of Jesse - Stump with Leaf

Group I


(A cut branch with initial stickers of each family placed on top.)


Group II


(Look closely at the detail of stitching on this one!)


Day 17 Prophecy: The New Creation - Lion and Lamb together

Group I

(Hand drawn and water paints on juice lid.)

Group II


(Cute felt lion and lamb!)

Day 18 Prophecy:  Prince of Peace - Dove and Crown

Group I


(Jewels glued on pre-cut crown.)


Group II




Day 19 Prophecy:  The Good Shepherd - Shepherd's Staff

Group I


(Baked puffy clay.)

Group II


(Florist's wire.)

Day 20 Prophecy:  Suffering Servant - Cross

Group I



Group II



Day 21 The New Covenant - Heart with Writing

Group I


Group II



Day 22 Bethlehem Prophecy - Bethlehem

Group I


(Made with foam and hand drawn.)

Group II


(Hand-painted!)


Day 23 Exile and Persecution - Fiery Furnace/ Sandals

Group I


Group II

(Check out the detail on this one!)


Day 24 Return to Jerusalem:  Preparation for Messiah - Brick Wall

Group I

Group II


(Hand-painted ornament/ silver paint stick used.)

Day 25 Christmas Star - Star

Group I



Group II

(Missing this one.)


Day 26 Light of the World - Candle or Light

Group I


Group II



Day 27 Angels Proclaim the Miraculous Birth - Angel

Group I


Group II




Day 28 The Birth of Jesus - Baby in Manger

Group I



Group II


Aren't they just amazing?!?!

Laurie also showed us how she kept her bible verses, tree swap directions, and group family name list (so you know who made which one) in one binder.  Great idea, Laurie!

Here is mine in a red binder.


(The first section has the story, versus, and symbols of the Jesse Tree...see above and below pictures.)





(This is a list of family names that happened to be in my particular group.)



(A copy of the rules for the swap.  Good for future reference.)


**********************************************

Last thoughts...

*A Jesse Tree ornament swap can be done with any group of any size.  Just break up the list of ornaments as evenly as possible.

*We could make or buy the ornaments.

*All of the moms who participated agree that as we take these ornaments out each year, we will always remember with fond memories the families that made each one!


*I wanted to share these with all of you since there is not a whole lot out there for "crafty" Jesse Tree ornament ideas. What we all really liked about these "crafty" ornaments is that it is easier for the children to see the connection with the Bible verse for that particular day.


Advent begins this year on Sunday, November 27!


~  Patty  ~

21 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, these are all so cute!! Which ones did you make? Great post and such cute ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in Group I. Ester and Mabel made the Staff out of puffy clay. Sally made the Noah's ark out of puffy clay and beads. I purchased the Christmas Angel and Nativity.

    I was so excited for this project. I will always remember each family as the ornament is hung!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great project! And what an awesome group of people you have to do be able to do this! And yes, they are amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! What an amazing group you belong to filled with such gifted women! Thanks for sharing....maybe next year...

    ReplyDelete
  5. AMAZING and so beautiful! All of them made with such love and care! Thank you for sharing! Maybe next year I can lead a project like this in our homeschool group???? It's a big Maybe, but it's always fun to set goals, right? and dream big :)

    Thanks for sharing such creativity! Hope you are feeling well and resting lots :)

    God bless!
    Tracy at "A Slice of Smith Life"

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet...I can see all the hard work that went in to each ornament. It will be so much fun to get them back out each year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patty, these are beautiful, amde with love I can tell. How wonderful!! and the girls are learning so much through this hands on project. Some of your bible stories are the same as the ones I'm using. Awesome job, Moma and Ester and Mabel!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Patty, this IS amazing!!!! Just love this whole idea and I definitely think it must be so meaningful done as a group. Great job to all and what a blessed learning, loving and sharing experience. Thank you for posting all of the photos and cute ornament ideas:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are amazing. You homeschool moms are incredible. What a fabulous idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Ladies. Really, anyone can make these. The hard part is coming up with an idea for each. If you do it on your own, take your time and work on it throughout the year. As a group, we had two months to finish up and turn them in. The kids just LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved seeing those! And, it's so cool how the 2 groups came up with different ideas for the same concept.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous! Great post.

    Going to share this on Twitter (@TotusTuus) and on my blog's Facebook page.

    Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are great! I found them via @TotusTuus on Twitter. I've also been inspired by the Jesse Tree for our Advent calendar this year - hope you might find it inspiring too! Our reflections might go well with your beautiful ornamental symbols.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my God!!! real impressive, now with so many ideas, this advent time REALLY have a meaning for me and my family, thanks and blessings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an amazing idea that produced wonderful results. Maybe we will make our own ornaments in a few years when my girls are older.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jen, thank you fr linking to the Advent Link Up party!! The ornaments swap is a great idea!! Maybe we could do one between blogs next year!! how about that?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing your group's swap! I'm tucking away this idea for our's for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry about the mixed up Patty! I just realized that I wrote Jen instead of your name! lol!
    I would love to participate in a swap among blogs! Would you organize it? Count on my help!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Patty, these are adorable! I'm thinking about using the Jesse Tree symbols and create a small book for my students. I saw some cute purple colored symbols that were used to make ornaments but I think I'm going to have my class use them to make a mini book.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails