Monday, September 12, 2011

Give and you shall receive

A dear, old friend up in Springfield, Illinois reminded me of this many years ago during a conversation about when to "clean out" baby toys, baby clothes, maternity clothes, etc...

We both fought our emotions of attachment to these precious items.

I asked her, "....but how do you know you won't adopt anymore?"... (she had one biological child and adopted two children)...we both agreed that living a life of "what if's" should not be the center of our thought process.

That's when she sighed, blew her hair out of her face, and said, "When you give, you shall receive."

Amen, Sister!

Moving to Texas....where there are no basements...coupled with the fact that I didn't think I'd ever be pregnant again, I finally surrendered my maternity clothes to a neighbor lady who was expecting.

And I say surrendered because it wasn't easy for me to detach.

********************************************

Fast forward to the present...

Well, I am not planning on spending any money on maternity clothes if I can help it.

Instead, I  did purchase this Bella Band that kept me in my "regular" clothes until week 14.


When that stopped working, I put the call out.  I asked my fellow home school, mom friends if I could borrow any maternity clothes that they may have.

Look at what was dropped off at my house the day of Mabel's birthday party!!!



They are all filled with maternity clothes!

Nope.  I'll never be able to wear all of those even if I wanted to but I could definitely have my own maternity fashion show, that's for sure!

So I'm slowly going through to see what fits, what I need, marking initials on the tags (I'd hate to mix all of these up), and then handing the rest back.  (Because I have NO room to store all of these!)

The words of my friend has echoed in my head all these years.  And you know?  I need to call her and tell her about this mother load that ended up in my foyer!

I praise God for wise and generous friends.

~  Patty  ~

5 comments:

  1. I am just in the process of selling all our baby stuff and it is really hard because the amount of money we spent versus what we are getting back is not really comparable. It was supposed to be to raise money for our adoption but it looks like we may all get to go out for icecream when all is said and done. I am hoping that when we get our children someone will be feeling generous with children's clothing. We all have so much more than we need. I haven't been able to part with the maternity clothes yet. But that is next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the queen of "what ifs"...I am working hard on this and praying to change. I know that all of the what ifs are really a lack of faith in God, but it is how I've always been. Change comes slow to me!

    What a wonderful group of mamas you have around you. How fabulous that you don't have to buy all the maternity...I've been looking for a few new pieces and cha-ching! Have fun trying it all on - have a fashion show for your girls...they'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true!! We had a dear lady (now one of my dearest friends) drop off boxes and boxes of little girl clothes when my 3 oldest dds were tots. It was so hard for her to let go, but she blessed us so much. (she had heard from her sister that we could perhaps use them) She too was blessed in return when she had a little boy years later. Have fun with your "new clothes". :)

    BTW- I don't remember what post you mentioned your children's names (the bday one?) but I have to tell you- I love your kids blog names!! They are so cute. I am sure their IRL names are just as fantastic... just saying. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, this brought tears to my eyes! Just goes to show, we can never underestimate the power and love of God. Thank you for sharing such abundant wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I love this story and it's so true. I sometimes have a hard time giving away my kid's things. I have them go through stuff from time to time and it's often me saying "oh, you can't give away Elmo, he's so cute!"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails