Friday, August 26, 2011

Thoughtfulness

We had two very lovely surprises last week.  Don't you just love surprises?

The first was from our Korean neighbor, Kye (Kay).  Almost one year ago I asked her to help me try and locate a statue of St. Andrew Kim Taegon, the first Korean priest who was martyred.

It is so difficult to locate any form of sacramental on this saint beside medals.  I thought with her being Korean Catholic surely she would have a better chance of locating a statue than myself.

I heard back once.  She was having a difficult time herself and then I  never heard about it again.  I thought we were out of luck.  Until last week when she rang the doorbell and presented us with this large box.

We carefully unwrapped it to find this::

  

It's him!  It is the statue of St. Andrew Kim Taegon...all 18" of him.  Isn't it beautiful?




I think Kye was more thrilled with finding him than we were.  Once I put her on this quest, she soon realized how difficult it was to come across a statue of him in the United States as well as South Korea.  

Apparently, a friend of a relative of a friend (I think) found it and shipped him to Kye.

St. Andrew Kim now stands among Stan's other Korean items on a shelf in his bedroom.  Quest accomplished!

***********************************************

On Saturday, the hubs brought in the mail and handed me a brown envelope.  I saw that it was from Eleanor, our old neighbor and friend up in Illinois.



(From our visit with her last summer -  '10.)


Eleanor reads my blog each day.  She really enjoys being able to keep up with the family with the stories and pictures.

She read that I was on the hunt for some new recipes and sent me this::





Her late husband Charles was a WWII vet in the U.S. Navy and served and protected our country from aboard the USS Essex CV-9.

Writing this I had a flashback....when Sally was little she always called Charlie "Char-Chee".

I called her on Sunday and had such a lovely chat.  I thanked her for the gift and told her that even though I was not feeling good the night before, I was able to look through and mark a some recipes that I look forward to trying.

Yes.  I'll definitely post about them.

*****************************************************

Thank you again, Kye and Eleanor, for the thoughtfulness that showed.

~  Patty  ~

5 comments:

  1. what is that they say about friends being the flowers in the garden of life? Kye and Eleanor are two beautiful friends ! I love that statue -- truly a beautiful gift to Stan, and the recipe book looks intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The statue is gorgeous!! I'm surprised it was so difficult to find, it should have been easy in Korea.

    I bet you will find some great recipes in that cookbook!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the statue! The detail is amazing. So glad you had some nice surprises. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, lovely thoughtfulness and cheer, just warmed my heart for you! That Korean statue is amazing grace:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails