Monday, August 1, 2011

Happiness is...

...waking up to find a back-to-school card sitting on your nightstand.





Slim pickins' this year (compared to this time last year.)  Target was the only place I found any.

I remember the box of new sneakers on my bedroom floor begging to be worn but having to wait until the first day of school.   Oh my gosh!  I can still smell the "new smell" of those sneaks.

I also remember Mom laying out my fresh, crisp, clean uniform blouse and jumper.  I could hardly wait to wake up and put it on.

Did any of you ever use the old cigar boxes as pencil/pen holders in your school desks?  I LOVED that smell when I was a kid.  (I think the nuns liked the smell because that's what they put on the class school supply list each year :)

I never wanted to use my new crayons.  The shapes were just too perfect to wear down.

Don't you just love the "new-ness" of a new school year?

~  Patty  ~

7 comments:

  1. I love the smell of new school supplies!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been in school for a couple years now, but I still get kind of excited about seeing school supplies at stores! I love a brand new start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hit post too soon..

    There is a line in a Meg Ryan movie about "sending a bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils". :)

    I love the card idea. I have never done that, but I think my kids would like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are the cutest cards! It was always so much fun to have new clothes/shoes in the closet - even if it was a bit warm for long sleeved shirts at the beginning of the school year. But, I sure am glad I get to spend the first day of school with my kids and not watching them hop on a bus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! I used old cigar boxes and they DID smell so good. I also love the crispness of the new school supplies. I can remember not wanting to take anything out of the "wrapper". It would lose it's newness.

    We are starting next Monday. Trying to squeeze out one more week of summer.

    Love the cards. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What memories you brought back with this post! I hated having to use new crayons for the first time...in fact, I still do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great reflection, Patty! The first day of school is like pressing the reset button...a fresh new start:) It's definitely worthy of some fun treats!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails