Friday, July 8, 2011

When life hands you lemons...

...turn it into lemonade, right?



Actually, I wanted to call this post, Oh Crap!  But, I didn't think the picture would be appropriate and there isn't  much you can do with that but make manure. So I guess I'll just stick with the lemonade. (*grin*)

Two big, unexpected expenses cropped on us this week.

1.  4 new tires
2.  new luggage carrier for the trip

My head did the math and my heart sunk to a really low low when I realized that the $750 was too huge of a chunk to swallow and take an 8 day vacation to the beach in the same week.  In fact, I thought it would be irresponsible.

We had a pow wow with the kids and gave them a quick lesson on finances.  The real world.    I am really proud of them.  They took it pretty good when we broke the news.

We put our heads together and realized we could still salvage something out of the mess.   I was able to receive a full refund from the hotel in South Padre;  we decided to cut our distance and our stay in half.

Everyone is happy with the back up plan.   And of course, you know I'll post on it :)

Most importantly, praise God that we can pay for those new tires when we need them....when so many people are out of jobs or have it really, really hard.

P.S.  Walked out into the garage earlier in the day and the only thing I could smell was  $500 of brand new rubber.  (a.k.a. safety.)

Here's to you and your glass of summertime lemonade...hope it isn't too tart!

~  Patty  ~

12 comments:

  1. Well, atleast you will have some purty tires! I think it will probably make your days together that much sweeter. Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Purdy indeed! LOL

    They are a beaut, Clark, I mean Kat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the kids (and you!) are disappointed about the original trip, but I just bet that y'all are going to have a great time anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on your "lemonade" and praise God for safety! Can't wait to see photos of your blessed family time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kids can amaze us sometimes. We often staycation due the expense of having to get more than one hotel room- in CA it is hard to find places that let you squeeze more than 3 kids per room.

    I hope your back up plan turns out to be a magical time together. I look forward to hearing more about your "lemonade".(your picture is so much prettier with that title btw ;))

    ReplyDelete
  6. As my good friend told me this past year when both our vehicles needed new tires - Tires and underwear...the two things I hate spending money on, but need to! :-)

    The time together will be wonderful - no matter where you go. Enjoy the family time away!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather, yup, someone very old told me the same thing before ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Patty, you always seem to look on the bright side of life!! A real bummer and you turned it into happiness still!! I hope you and your family have a relaxing time away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's always something, darn it. What a great lesson for the kids though. They are learning to be flexible and sensible, not entitled (we are going anyway, we deserve it!). Can't wait to see the pics from your getaway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great kids you must have!.....see, I woulda said, when life hands you lemons that those you just got, add vodka. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Will you please pray for my family? My husband and I's profile is being shown to an agency choosing a family for a beautiful little girl born on the 28th of June. Thank you.
    Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary, you will definitely be put on our prayer list!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails