Sunday, June 5, 2011

Our First Communicant

The older I get, the more I grow in my faith and the more emotional I get when I see a little one receiving the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Our Lord for the first time.

And she was so ready.

In the morning, she opened up a few gifts from family.




David and I gave her a miraculous medal.  She's been eyeing her sisters' medals.




Her brother and sisters gave her a new (big girl) crucifix to hang over her bed.


It's a beautiful tradition.  As they make their next sacrament, they receive a crucifix in honor of it.  We pack away the "baby" ones in a special sacrament keepsake box that they each have.

Making sure that her soul was absolutely shiny before receiving her First Communion, David took her to confession yesterday afternoon.  Since Stan cannot sit still for the entire family to go, we have to break it up.  I do look forward to the day when we all go as a family!

As we were heading out the door to Mass....


Heirlooms.  My Grandma Achin (Grammy's mom) hand made a beautiful baptismal gown for my mother and it became a family heirloom with all of my siblings wearing it and almost all of the great-grandchildren wearing it.

It inspired me to start another custom of passing down a First Communion dress.  Each of my daughters have now worn it while they are allowed to pick out their own veils.  (The veils end up in their keepsake box as well.)



She was so excited!

(Nope.  We did not all plan on wearing blue.)

After the Mass with Father Bradley.


And Mabel wasn't alone last evening.  Another boy in our homeschool group received his First Communion with her.  (We will refer to him as Little Man :)



Since we planned this special evening on short notice, I kept things rather simple.

We had a joint dinner reception for Mabel and Little Man so we kept the colors scheme a simple pink and blue.

I spread out little blue bud vases with pink roses around the dining room table, kitchen table, and kitchen counter.


I bought Mabel her cake, and Little Man's mother, Marianne, made a delicious strawberry with cream cake.  (I forgot to take a picture of the strawberry dessert but plan to get her recipe.)





The menu was a traditional southern meal::

Pulled Pork BBQ (on buns), lima beans (steamed in chicken broth and butter),  cheesy potato casserole.  Marianne served a delicious quiche and green salad.

Good company.  We were blessed to be joined by some close friends of Mabel's, dear family friends of David and I, as well as Fr. Bradley. 

Most of all, we missed the grandparents not being here with us.    But we know that they were here in spirit, thoughts and prayers.




Like a sunflower that follows every movement of the sun, 
So I turn towards You, to follow You, my God.


God bless you, Little Man and Mabel!

~  Patty  ~
 

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations to your adorable daughter! What a beautiful family you have... (and PS I love your dress!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your dress too! You all look great. So glad the evening went well and that you were able to share it with friends. Did you make the cake? Congratulations to Mabel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Ladies. I bought the cake and the dress came from Target :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely. Tell Mabel congratulations from the Brown family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great pictures! The kids are all precious. Congrats to Mabel!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to Mabel! Such an exciting time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful day! Mabel looks so pretty in her "hand me down" heirloom dress. Simply the best! We too have that tradition. 3 of the 4 of my girls, all worn the same dress and veil. What a wonderful tradition to pass down. K-Doodle was pleased and ready to wear her sister's "hand me down". Kiss Mabel for us. They grow up so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful day!
    My boys all sang the Sunflower Song when they made their first communion. Always makes me cry. When CH converted, the boys told him he was going to look pretty silly singing the song and doing the hand motions!
    I completely forgot about the excitement of getting to pick out the dinner menu after First Communion!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a blessing. God bless your new communicant! she looked beautiful for Jesus! love your family picture with Father Bradley.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails