Sunday, May 29, 2011

Memorial Weekend

Raise your hand, Girl,  if you are a mother that has ever  dreamed  of having just one night to yourself....in your own home....free as a bird to do whatever... or nothing! 

On Friday, David took all The Littles camping overnight.  All of them. 

I ran as fast as I could...(actually drove)...to the next county over and purchased some libations.

*While I do not promote alcoholism, I do admit, unapologetically, that I like to partake in a libation every now and then.... and since we live in a dry county...it is more then than now!

   

So I made these whole fruit margaritas...




...sat on my back porch with my twinkling lights...


...and in five minutes... I!  was!  bored!  

I had an overwhelming urge to clean...to wipe the table..to do a few dishes...to vacuum.  Oh my goodness!  It is hard unwind and just be, isn't it?


At 9pm, I had received a phone call from David::

David:  Stan just jumped into the lake and soaked his clothes and sneakers.  I have him running in his wet skivvies and shoes while I dry his wet clothes over the fire.

Patty:  Hang in there, Buddy!

So glad it was him and not me! 

On a side note, David was camping with another dad who brought some of his own children. I was thankful that David had another set of hands and eyes to help him out!

********************************

I met up with the family early Saturday morning for a day at the beach.  We had some friends join us.  Actually, quite a few friends (41 in all).

 
One of the moms referred to the group as the herd.  I could not have summed it up any better.


  

Oh my goodness did we have fun!  The lake water was so refreshing for this herd since it was such a HOT day.



A large number of kids + 30,000 acre lake = 1 large water fight!


I just love sunkissed bodies that smell of suntan lotion...sleepy, bobbing heads on the way home...the smell of freshly, laundered beach towels...and Littles that sleep sound all night as they curl into their cool sheets with summer jammies on. 




We love this lake.  We leave it each time with a full tank of happy gas in our hearts.  Good memories.  Good times.

 ***********************************************

Music. 

My favorite music over this special weekend has to be the patriotic music sung at Mass.  Oh my!  I have goose bumps thinking about it.  Unfortunately, they sang only one song after Mass this year, America the Beautiful.

Don't forget to check your local listings for the memorial celebration at Washington D.C. tonight! 

Wishing you all a very happy Memorial Day!  Thanking God for all the men and women who have given so much to protect my freedom!



God bless America!

~  Patty  ~

5 comments:

  1. I actually remembered the Memorial Service on PBS, but would you believe our cable went out??? I'm going to keep checking it to see if I can catch some of it.
    We didn't sing any patriotic songs at mass at all today. I bet we do tomorrow, though.
    My African priest is leaving 1 July. I'm very sad, but he'll only be 30-45 minutes away, and it's a good move for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! What a wonderful husband you have, and how awesome that must be to get 41 people together for a day at the beach. I've found it challenging to coordinate four families for a cookout :-)
    I love all that patriotic music too, and I thank your for reminding me to watch the national memorial on tv.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy days! We spent some outdoors time today, but it was soooo cold. Not used to this in May.

    Love your patriotic music (Proud to be an American). :)

    I hope you enjoyed your time with no littles. What a nice hubby! We are making your margaritas tomorrow- got the ingredients on our grocery list for the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched the DC Memorial Special on PBS last night...BAWLED my eyes out!!!!!! I was SO thankful that I didn't watch it alone since my hubby is still camping. Little angel baby slept and I had my Mom to keep me company, thank God. What a blessing to have a herd to enjoy the lake and our freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that it is a little weird posting about an alcoholic drink. :) Although, it is what Father Coghlan called "a legitimate pleasure". And one that we don't often indulge in- but, they sure added a festive air to our Monday dinner, so I appreciate your post! What is really weird is seeing my margarita in your side bar. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails