Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Healthy Snackin'

Ester found this Bird's Nest recipe in an American Girl magazine and decided to give it a whirl.  It is yummy, easy, and healthy!


Simply, sliced bananas spread with peanut butter with yogurt raisins on top.

***********************************************

Peanut Energy Bars




Ingredients:

1/2 c dry roasted, salted peanuts (*I substituted unsalted...tasted just as good.)
1/2 c roasted sunflower kernels
2 c chopped dried fruit
2 c oatmeal (I used Quaker Old Fashioned Oats)
2 c multi grain cheerios
1/4 toasted wheatgerm
1/2 c natural peanut butter (I used our home made peanut butter - Vitamix - you can use reg. peanut butter)
1/2 c brown sugar
3/4 c honey
1 tsp vanilla

1.  Coat 9x13 pan with cooking spray

2. Combine peanuts, sunflower kernels, fruit, oats, cereal, and wheat germ in a large bowl.

3.  Melt peanut butter, brown sugar, and honey together until bubbly.  Add vanilla and stir until blended.  Pour over dry ingredients and stir until coated.

4.  Transfer to prepared pan.  Press down firmly. Refrigerate one hour to harden.  Cut into bars.  Wrap individually in plastic wrap.  Keep in refrigerator. 

(You can add a scoop of protein powder for the extra protein.)

* I originally made these for David and myself, but the kids had a taste and loved them as well! *



~ Patty ~


5 comments:

  1. Oh, yum! They both look soooo good. Thank you for posting this. I was looking for a good bird's nest snack to go with my Eggs unit I am doing. I am going to do these for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making the energy bars, I always love finding a healthy snack! The kids are excited to make their own peanut butter :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great! (especially those energy bars) We'd have to keep them as afterschool snacks though - peanut butter is banned at school and childcare :-(
    xxxCate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bird's nest idea, especially for this season! Yum...all my kids (even pickies) would eat these:-) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those energy bars look good! I don't know if they would last long enough to even bother wrapping them - treats seem to disappear awfully quick around here! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails