Monday, February 28, 2011

A Dried Out Log

That's what I am and I believe it is a good thing.  Let me try and explain...


At the new year, I had no idea what was in store for my faith nor the ride that I was about to embark on.  I went from soaring heights encouraged by the beautiful liturgical seasons of Advent and Christmas to the deepest of lows...a barren valley....only to find myself settling into a new and peaceful norm.

I had found the new "maximum"  was my old "minimum".  But that new "maximum" was filled with might and  quality and came from the depths of my being.
It ushered in a peace that took root and grew and grew.

I had explained this powerful journey to an old friend.  She finished the thought by telling what St. John of the Cross taught....

Our formation can be compared to the Jewish sacrifices of burnt offerings in the old testament. We must be completely consumed by God; completely with nothing of our SELF that remains. It’s like trying to burn a log. If it’s fresh off the tree, burning a green log straight off the tree is impossible or at the least, every difficult. In order for God to completely consume us, he must dry us out first just like a wood must dry before being consumed by fire. If there is any moisture left in the wood, you will see its remains after the fire goes out. Our goal is to embrace our sufferings, our trials, our tribulations in order to give up our most tenacious spots of self so he can dwell completely in us.





Pretty deep, huh?  (I have the best  faith conversations with this old friend!)

But I understood it... and she understood it...and we both realized that I was now a dried out log!  :) 


I am so ready for my Lenten season.  In a way,  I believe my Lenten journey began a couple of months ago. 

**********************************************

An update on my home and health::

 
I have been an excellent patient.  As they say in Texas, this isn't my first rodeo.  My family needs me healthy so we all took diligent care of  "me" the past few days.  I stayed in bed or on my recliner all weekend and found my body slowly recovering.  I am definitely on the mend.

David has done an awesome job juggling all fronts.  Hands down, the best.  I love him so much!

The littles are coming around nicely as well.  Their spirits improve each day, and with a couple of birthdays coming up and a big visit from Grammy just days away, they have a lot to look forward to this coming week. I love them so much!

I have had friends drop dinners and desserts off throughout the weekend.  The gift of friendship is absolutely amazing and brings me to tears when I think of their generous gestures.  I love them so much!

Prayer is powerful and I know our recovery is going smoothly because of those prayers.  Thank you all.  I love you all so much!

7 comments:

  1. I TOTALLY get it, too! Isn't it great to have a friend you can get into deep Catholic conversations with? I had one in SC...we're still in touch here & there (thank you, facebook!), but I absolutely LOVED the conversations I had with her. And now I miss her very, very much. :)
    Glad you're on the mend and that the littles are perking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear you are on the mend on all fronts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pleased you are being looked after. Thinking of you. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both of you and your sweet children will remain in our prayers. I'm glad your spirit is on the mend as well as your body.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I LOVE that analogy! I may link back to that in the future:-) Praise God for your sweet husband, old friend, faith journey and all the love around you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing the thoughts from St. John of the Cross - absolutely true and beautiful. Happy to hear that things are going well and that you all have some wonderful things to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know you so little but you have havven on heart. Giving a soul to our Heavely Father, or I should say realizing it was never ours to begin with is not easy. As heaven fills with the joys that we can't even imagine my human heart asks that you can fell some of that peace here and now. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails