Sunday, January 23, 2011

Clearing the Air

I seemed to have kicked up some dust down here on a post I wrote just two days ago.

This post  quoted  Dr. Mary Kay Clark, Director of Seton Home Study School, restating the Church's teaching on home education.  I posted it because of the relentless negative views of homeschooling that home educators receive.   CONSTANTLY.





I followed the quote by personally writing the following:

It is about using the sacramental graces you received through the sacrament of holy matrimony to teach your children their faith with the goal of attaining heaven. It all depends what you, as a parent, teach your child.

No where on the post did I claim (nor did Dr. Clark claim) that you are "not as good" of a parent if you do not home educate.  And if you know me, you know I have previously posted  that I never want to give off the position that I hold myself in higher esteem because of our choice to home educate.

I must clear up one very big typo though...when I typed "sacramental graces" received through matrimony, I was suppose to have typed "particular graces".  For each sacrament, there is a particular grace received that only can be given in that particular sacrament. (Taken from the Baltimore Catechism).  This is what makes Holy Matrimony so special and different from the other sacraments.  And ditto for the other sacraments.

So, I hope this clears the air and that if you found yourself offended, please take the time to reread what I posted. 

Hoping you find peace in this~


9 comments:

  1. One of the great things about this country is that we have a CHOICE. I had several Catholic friends in SC who chose to homeschool, and we had a Catholic elementary/middle school in our town. I admired these ladies immensely because they were doing it the right way. Working in a public school, I see a few parents who choose to "homeschool", although I have no idea how they're doing it since they work during the day. If I didn't work, there is no way I could've homeschooled my boys...I don't have near the patience for it. I know there are pros and cons to homeschool, as there is for private school and public school. You have to do what you think is best for your child. Thank God we live in a country where the government doesn't tell us how to raise our children and how to educate them. Keep doing what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patty-
    Well said...I couldn't agree more! When parents choose to school their children another way (private school, public school, charter school etc) they do so via those particular graces from the Sacrament of Matrimony. It is our job to decide (with God's grace) what is the best route for our family.
    Great posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely put. As a mother who sent two through public school, and now have the opportunity to homeschool my younger two from birth, I have been on "both sides". I believe we know what is best for our families through the various seasons of our lives when we seek His guidance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pray that I am open to receiving those graces each day. I know that they are there - I'm just not always feeling them!

    Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said - I think there are as many ways to raise a child as there are children out there - there are no "right" answers, only the answer that's "right" for your child. Keep up the great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. sometimes words get misinterpreted. I really didn't read that you were saying homeschooling is the only or better way to educate one's child. I don't homeschool and that is my choice. but I do gladly receive all those particular graces that the Lord gives me as a mother and wife to fill our home with teachings of the faith. Daily I strive to teach my daughter the faith. It is a large task, but one that Our Lord gives us all the tools to accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said!

    Even as a homeschool parent, I choose to have others teach my children in various subjects-I am responsible for my child's education, but that does not mean that I am the *only* educator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There seems to be a similar attitude here...I see homeschooling as a selfless action. You have to be a special person to do it.
    I have awarded you a stylish award at mine. You don't have to do it but sometimes they're fun. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails