Sunday, December 19, 2010

You Know It's Cold When...

...your nostrils instantly freeze together after stepping outside and breathing the frigid air. 

That is how cold it gets up north.   By just stepping out into your garage, your lungs hurt from the icy arctic air invading that warm space of your body cavity.     

I worry about my in-laws and  mother in that kind of bitterness.

Speaking of Mom...

...she sent a Christmas card this year that shows my childhood home blanketed in snow.  I think it may be from last weekend?


























Beautiful, isn't it?  That will be our white Christmas this year. 

We cannot be there in person but we do have a beautiful reminder of "home".

********************************************************

Down south, in a round about way, we feel your pain.   Our blistering summers...well...they even make the swimming pool feel gross.

Our winters are mild and beautiful.   

Every now and then we will receive snow...had a white Christmas last year (the first in decades they say)....but it melts rather quickly. 

(That's just fine with me ;)

The other day, I took this photo of David playing jump rope with the girls and a neighbor friend.




Where is Stan?  The girls drive him nuts.  He was off digging in the empty lot next to us.  He is always digging in hopes of finding animal bones.

Maybe he will be an archaeologist?

**************************************************

~On to reading.

We really enjoyed our books from week three of Advent

Week four of Advent will find us reading books based on the Nativity and Angels

**Again, following Cay Gibson's Christmas Mosaic.**













Not sure how much longer I'll be able to sit and read to all of them.  Sally just announced this morning that she was getting tired of being read to. 

If she only knew how quickly time flies...how quickly she is growing up...and how bittersweet that is for a mother.

8 comments:

  1. Doesn't that just break your heart? C-Sunshine told me the same thing. But, K-Doodle still loves to snuggle and read with momma. I am holding on to that......she is the caboose of my girl train. :)

    Oh....I love your "growing up home"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful shot of your Mom's house! It must have been from last weekend, thats when the midwest received a few snowflakes. Enjoy your Advent reading, can't believe it's Christmas next weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my friend, yes I can understand I think. Already I envision those days of my daughter grown up. I'm going to check out your week four books. there are so many wonderful ones, arent' there. we've been reading Mortimer's Christmas Manger here with interest, and Angels Angels Everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful home to grow up in. I just want to go right inside, it looks warm and snuggly. (It's probably a good thing that I don't know where your Mother lives!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mom's house looks amazingly beautiful. Love that Stan was off digging while the girls were playing! What a boy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh, your childhood home is beautiful. What a picturesque treasure and memory for you! Your blog song is incredibly peaceful...O' Holy Night is my favorite. I think I'm yearning for that peace right now. Blessings to you and your family these final days of Advent:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mom's house looks a lot like ours....covered in snow! The children are LOVING it!

    I don't want to think about the time when my kids won't let me read to them anymore...let's just pretend it won't happen and maybe it won't!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That really is a beautiful home.
    Wishing you all a very peaceful and Happy Christmas

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails