Monday, December 27, 2010

A Funny Little Thing...

Another Christmas tradition that is.

Way back in B.C. (a.k.a. before children), somewhere along the way, (read it in a magazine since this was even before www had evolved), I came across a great, family, Christmas tradition. 

It was one of those that just grabbed my attention...it branded itself in my memory...one that I would not forget as a newlywed. 

Fast forward...I am the matriarch of this house and we have that Christmas table tradition.  I love it!  And my family loves it!

You see, once the littles graduate from plastic, holiday dishes like so...







...they get to take a trip with Mama to the store to pick out their own Christmas place setting.  And boy! do we have a variety of fun place settings. 

There is a bit of holly & ivy with some snowflakes sprinkled in.





We table a Santa and snowman set.





Actually, a few snowman sets.





The holly & ivy was new this year...ran out to Kohl's at the last minute when I found we would be having an extra dinner guest.    (I think I spent around $22 for the place setting. )

The kids like to eat off of their "own" plates on Christmas Eve and Christmas day and then they switch around throughout the holiday week.  ( I leave them out until New Year's Eve.) 

Not only is it fun but our table just rocks with holiday spirit!

I'm thinking as they grow and and the family grows....we will continue to add a new place setting for each new family member. 

Merry Christmas!

~Patty~

9 comments:

  1. I love this idea!! Thank you for sharing it. I think I'll have to keep this one in my memory for our house :) I know my kids would absolutely enjoy it too. What a unique way for each person to be celebrated by their unique setting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea!!! If we weren't already gifted some Christmas china every year by my inlaws, I would be jumping on board this bandwagon! It really is a delightful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fantastic idea!!! I might have to hit up Kohl's this week to check out their holiday settings. I have some, but I like the idea of each child getting to pick out something special to them. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patty, this is so unique. I've never heard of such an idea before, and it's so cool. What a wonderful tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea Patty! We do use our holiday Spode China from Thanksgiving through New Years, but I love the unique place settings for each person. I might have to shop the sales this week and give this a go for next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! Even after all these years, I have not caught up to the number of family members (kids + spouses + grandchildren) we have- people out number the dishes. This would be a great way to start to build a festive holiday table- and it would be so special to the kids. I could even have the grandkids pick out their own!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea!! My kids would LOVE having their own setting. My mind is already working on next year....I need to write this all down some place. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the nice comments! It is definitely a unique idea and one that I remembered (somehow) for years. Now it is unfolding and is such a cherished tradition. All of our place settings came from Kohl's throughout the years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh, what a special idea. We may need to do that next year, Patty. I love it. Thanks for sharing such a special tradition. Merry christmas, love to you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails