Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Christmas Break

Eating.  Sleeping in.  Playing with gifts.  Playing with friends.  Movie theater.  Cookies and hot cocoa with more cookies.  Reading.  Just being.  (Plus one case of bronchitis for me.)

Are you all enjoying your break so far?  Except for the illness, we sure are!

I had two afternoons...in a row...where all the littles were gone...for a few hours on end.  I had the entire house to myself!

P.S. This has never happened to me before.

P.S.S.  I love it!!
******************************************************

We are still soaking up books throughout this beautiful season.  I bought each of the kids a new book after they finished the second quarter.  (They really look forward to this.) 

The deal is, I get to pick out the the books and surprise them.  This time around, Stan and Mabel each received an age-appropriate Christmas book.   (You probably have these or heard of them already.)



























Ester received Happy Little Family by Rebecca Caudill.  It is the first in the Fairchild Family series published by Bethlehem books.  You can find the series here.  (Recommended for young readers.)

Sally received The Wind Blows Free by Loula Grace Erdman.  It is part of the Texas Panhandle Series published by Bethlehem books.  You can find that series here.  (This is recommended for age 11 and up.)



























The older girls ended  up loving their books.  I'm excited since they are part of a series. 

We have also continued reading books from the Christmas Mosaic.  We have focused on the themes: Christmas Around the World,  the Feast of Mary, Mother of God, and Epiphany.

We included a bit of Italy, the Caribbean, and Mexico with the following:






The book Too Many Tamales is also in video.  It is by Scholastic with the title The Night Before Christmas and More Christmas Stories.  We found it at the library and on Netflix. 

The book, The Legend of Old Befana could also be used for the Epiphany.





Next year, I plan to mix in the theme Christmas Around the World throughout Advent.  There are a few titles that tie in nicely with feast days of the December saints.


***************************************************************

Bonus round: good weather.

Sunday and Monday brought the kids playing outside with neighbor children....for hours on end.  (Peace and quiet in the house.) 

Double bonus since it leads to easier bedtimes.  (*wink*)

Unfortunately...we now have rain.  The gloomy, cold, yucky kind.  Heard it is suppose to stay for a couple of days.


***************************************************************

I continue to carry out the "In With One/ Out With One" rule.  The kids were really good about cleaning out the gently used toys and bagging them for charity. 




These with a bagful of trucks and plastic animals will soon be leaving the house.  If you live nearby and would like any, give me a holler.  By the end of the week, they will be gone.

*************************************************************

I had grand plans to clean this; paint that over the break.  Being sick really is not for sissies. 

The silver lining?  Two of them in this case.  It happened when school was out and it has forced me to take a couple of siestas here and there.   


Now...praying for better health since David and I have a luncheon date set for Friday, New Year's Eve.

Merry Christmas!
~Patty~

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I "need" that Island Christmas book!! I hope you are feeling better soon, its no fair being sick on your break :) Enjoy New Year's Eve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that rare "alone" time too. Glad that you had a moment to recharge. Sounds like you guys are having a great school break. I hope you are all better soon and out enjoying the rest of your break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Patty~So sorry to hear you have been sick. You've been doing quite a bit, considering! I had never heard of the Happy Little Family series so will look into that for my daughter. I just love Catholic Mosaic too. I go in spurts using it and need to get back to it! Hope you and hubby can enjoy that lunch date!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to ehar you've had bronchitis! Hope you're better soon.

    Love reading about the kids' fantastic book choices, your success with 1 in-1 out and that you got time for yourself.

    enjoy a blessed new year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails