Friday, November 12, 2010

Wrapping Up Our Week 11/12/10



On My Mind...
I've decided to school up to Thanksgiving and take the three weeks off at Christmas.  Once I compared the time off between the two...it was a no brainer! 

I cannot believe Thanksgiving is in two weeks.  Holy Toledo!

Thought a bunch about Jill and her family this week.  If you get a chance, stop on over her blog and check out her new son!  And this is here latest post.

R.E.A.L.L.Y.  need to carve out some "me" time!

**********************


Monday
1.  Proof  student photos

Tuesday
1.  Proof student photos
2.  David's birthday
3.  Ortho appt. for Sally

Wednesday
1.  Little Flowers and Little Woman's Programs...play time for Stan and his little buddies.
2.  Choir for Ester and Mabel.
3.  *Goal for me....get those proofs in the mail by Wednesday...goal accomplished. (whew!)

Thursday
1.  I'm working on plans for our group's first-ever Christmas pageant.

Friday & Saturday - Need a laugh?  Read #1.
1. Gas leak ended up being yucky spinach that David put in the kitchen trash yesterday.  I made him  explain that one to the gas man while he was all over our house checking for the leak!  I just hid in Ester's room working on lesson plans :)
2. Trade show this weekend for our business. 

*********************

English 
Sally has had a really tough but thorough second quarter so far. 

Here is a sample:

I.  Kinds of Nouns -
  A.  Proper and Common (easy enough)
  B. Collective Nouns (easy enough)

II.  Modifications of Nouns -
  A.  Person
  B.  Number
  C. Gender
  D.  Case  (This is where it can grow more difficult)
       1.  Nominative Case - Subject
       2.  Predicate Nominative
  E.  Nominative of Address
       1.  Direct Address
       2.  Noun in apposition
  F.  Possessive Case
       1.  Noun that expresses possession, ownership, or connection
  G.  Methods of Forming the Possessive Case of Nouns
  H.  Objective Case
        1. Direct Object
        2.  Object of  a Preposition
        3.  Indirect Object
        4.  Objective in Apposition

History
**Sally finished an AWESOME chapter on how and where the Catholic faith spread to west Europe through the importance of monastic life, vows and education, and converting pagan tribes to Christianity by the year 1000.

By the year 1000, nearly all of Europe was Catholic....from Ireland to Russia.

Yes!  Even Russia was Catholic through Vladimir the Great and his grandmother St. Olga.

**Ester finished studying and comparing the early settlements and growth of the French, Dutch, and English settlers. 

**Mabel studied the history of Portugal and the life of  St. Elizabeth of Portugal.  (What a beautiful person she was!)

Science
**Ester finished up a long chapter on meteorology and oceanography.  She really enjoyed it!

Handwriting
Mabel finally made it....she started cursive writing on Friday.  One very, happy Texas Twister!






Pre-School
** Stan worked on small, smaller, and smallest....as well as...big, bigger, and biggest.  We also keep reviewing our directions of left and right.

**********************

Looking forward to starting our postcard swap between the states!  We have two takers so far. (Need 48 more, HINT! HINT! and we can do repeats.)

As it starts unfolding, I'll be including it in our weekly update.

*********************

For more fun, please join us at Jen's Forever, For Always, No Matter What...

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a productive week!

    I hope you get more postcard participants- we're in.

    We did a Christmas Pageant a few years ago that we had two girls (about 13yo) play "babysitters" and retell the Christmas story. As they told the story, each of the children they were "babysitting" became one of the people or animals in the story. It was pretty adorable! I don't know if that helps, but I thought I'd share. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, a very productive week!!! I am impressed at Sally's english - I would probably flunk that test ;) I don't blame you for hiding out while the gas man was there, sounds like something that would happen at our house! Oh and we will definitely send you a postcard if you need one from our state :) Thanks for linking up, and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by from Jen's wrap up. We are going right up to Thanksgiving and then taking three weeks at Christmas also. Well, I should say the kids will get a break. I teach college classes, so I will be grading...grading...grading before my Christmas break!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You :-)

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a busy week. congrats to Mabel on starting cursive. my daughter is learning about big bigger and biggest. she calls it small, mediun size, and large. :) Isn't it wonderful to share in another's adoption moments. congrats to Jill and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whew, you got a lot done! We would love to swap postcards. Did I tell you that already? And the spinach - I am still rolling on the floor LOL on that one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails