Sunday, November 28, 2010

Blessed Advent/ Happy New Year

"He will be great, and will be called Son of the Most High." 
Luke 1:32




In the Catholic Church, the church calendar begins a new year the first day of Advent.    So Happy New Year to you! 

Do you have any resolutions, especially during this beautiful season?

I love Advent.  The older I get, the more I fall in love with it.  Advent and Lent both!

************************************************************

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday weekend.   I had plenty of help this year in my kitchen.  David smoked the turkey and it turned out so delicious. 




David said he went out at 3am to turn the smoker on and it was a balmy 65 degrees F.  There he was in shorts and t-shirt.  He went back out at 5am and it was 40 degrees F.  and dropping.  It ended up being in the 30's Thanksgiving day.  (My blood has so thinned since living in the south.  I'm a total wimp now!)

With David freeing up my oven...I had so much room!  Makes me want a double oven unit...(sigh...)

This girl made her first pumpkin pie....all!  by!  herself! 




She is really growing into a domesticated lady of the house and will make a very good wife and mother someday...not that I'm trying to marry her off just yet!


These two little munchkins helped me make the apple pie.



It was all so yummy! 

The rest of the weekend was a filled with R&R....lots of it!  I didn't realize how tired our bodies had grown from such an active fall.

I love to watch, hear, and see what others are doing at this time of the year.  It is such a magical time, isn't it?   

~Our Christmas preparations pretty much focus on Advent right now.  For the children in particular, I started using this last year...



Christmas Mosaic.  A beautiful title that perfectly sums up the material covered inside.  You can purchase it here.

The book selection list is amazing!  We concentrate on different books for each week of Advent.  This week, the kids will be reading the following based on the theme Advent/Decoration/Preparation Stories:








We found all of these at the library.

I know the book The Christmas Miracle of Jonathon Toomey was made into a movie.  You can rent it on Netflix.  We rented it last year and it is a beautiful Christmas story for all ages. 

~The Advent wreath came out and sits in the center of our kitchen table. 

~The kids filled the advent calendar with their chocolates.  (I just pitched the rest of their Halloween candy.) 

~Ordered our Christmas picture cards from Sam's on Friday.  They had a special: 100 for $15.00!

~We placed our Christmas candles in the window and hung the wreathes near them.  I love the old Irish tradition of Christmas candles in the window.  My mother and father always had candles in the window during Advent/Christmas.



May you and your family find the peace in preparation this week.

9 comments:

  1. We have candles in our window too! Although, it was my husband's family's tradition, not mine. I didn't know they made Jonathon Toomey into a movie! Thanks for that info. I'm gonna go add it now! Happy New Liturgical Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reading suggestions! I will have to check our library this week as it's our first Advent with our son home, so we were at a loss on reading suggestions. Those pies look so good- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful tradition. I am glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I have never had a smoked turkey. It sounds wonderful. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All those books look delightful. I want to get them all. but we've got a good number for this year, and I keep having to remind myself that there are more years ahead, to keep adding to our advent book collection. Your oldest daughter is quite a talented young lady in the kitchen. you and she should be proud. My parnets (both all Irish) put candles in the wondows every Christmas for all the years I can remember. I tried it at my house one year -- didn't like all those extension cords going everywhere, so the next I bought those battery operated one, and the betteries didn't last very long. I love the look and the tradition. I would have to get over the extension cords. is that what you use, the plug in ones? Happy blessed Advent. It's finally here, and like you, I love it more and more the older I get.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gardenia, I refreshed and purchased new candles last year a few days before Christmas. I bought these at Lowe's on clearance, like half the price! They are battery operated. From the moment you load the batteries, they will stay on for 6 hours and then turn off automatically. They will repeat the same time every 24 hours. My batteries lasted last year...even though these particular candles were not purchased until closer to Christmas. I have them in all the front windows and the kids' windows. I bought the big pack of batteries at Sam's club. No chords for me! Oh, these also suction to the window.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard of many of those books, except the Jonathon Toomey. I can't read it w/o crying. I didn't know it was a movie! We put candles in the window for the first time this year. Happy Advent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for the info about the candles Patty. and my goodness, i had so many typos in my comment. blush.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Advent Blessings to you and family, Patty! Sheesh, I have much bloggy reading to catch up on after being away... Your Advent wreath is just precious. I just LOVE getting a peek at other people's traditions and decor...such fun. Looks like a yummy Thanksgiving and a lovely transition in the new liturgical year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going to check those books out. Let me know of any more you think of!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails