Friday, October 15, 2010

Wrapping Up Our Week 10/15/10


We are back in the saddle again!

Not sure if I mentioned before, but we use Seton Curriculum with a sprinkling of substitutes here and there.

 When I was a teacher in the school system, I  strongly disliked having to do lesson plans on a Sunday afternoon or evening.  During the weeknights, I'd be busy with grading papers.  Saturday?  Who wanted to do work on Saturday?  So it fell on Sundays.  (And I didn't have children back then.)

When I dove into homeschooling, to be quite honest, I wanted a Catholic curriculum where they did the ground work for you.  Hence, I chose Seton.

Since it is a pretty straight forward, old-fashioned kind of curriculum, I plan to just highlight our week with the more interesting facts.

Science:
1.  Monday started out with a bang.  Literally.  There is something to say about the T-Storms in Texas...Huge!  This one lasted about 1 1/2 hours with lots of thunder and lightening and torrential downpours. 

2.  Sally wants me to ask you all,  "Did you know that beavers and porcupines are rodents?" (She loves studying this kind of stuff....she wants to be a veterinarian.)

3.  Ester just started the oceans, the weather, and the climate.  Did you know that Blaise Pascal was a great Catholic scientist and mathematician.  He was known to study the properties of air and liquids.  He is also famous for his collection of notes on religion entitled Pensees ("Thoughts"), which have influenced many people to become followers of Jesus.


History:
1.  Mabel is studying history for the first semester and will study science the second semester.  Both are minor subjects at second grade so she does not need the entire year's worth.

This week, she studied the Czech and Slovak Republics with the history of St. Wenceslaus mixed in.  Oh!  He had such a wicked mother!

Reading:  (For second quarter book reports)
Sally:  The Winged Watchman
Ester:  Augustine Came to Kent
Mabel:  These Are Our Neighbors (her primer)


Art: 
At the beginning of the year, we started a new art program.  We are now using Simply Drawings - Art Classes by Mrs. Ginger Himes which can be found on Seton's website.  The girls really enjoy this once a week program.  I enjoy not having to actually teach it!  (It's a bit above Stan's head for now.)

Pre-School:
I decided to switch Stan's curriculum after the first quarter.  What I had previously used with the girls (a mish-mash of things) was not working with little man.  So I purchased some pre-school material over at Seton. 







































He seems to really like it.  The religion is very basic and puts it in "kid friendly" terms.  I will be using it with some of my old books.

With extra curricular activities, student photo shoot on Friday, chores, and a trade show for Kitchens Alive this weekend, ...whew!...I had to have a perfectly choreographed school week and some "libations" waiting for me tonight!
 

************************************************************
Please join in for more fun at Jen's...Forever, For Always, No Matter What.

7 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to get back in the swing of things! We used some of the Seton preschool materials - so cute.
    Please tell Sally that I did not know that beavers and porcupines were rodents! I try not to think about those things even though I have boys in this house who do.
    Thanks for linking up and have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep thinking about home schooling a couple of my children...but I've no idea where to start. I expect being a teacher helps a lot. It's something I have to give a lot of thought to. Your lessons sound very interesting though. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We too are using Seton Curriculum this year. The kids and I both really enjoy it.Thanks for sharing~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not know that a beaver or a porcupine is a rodent!! And I am usually up on my animal facts. :) I am glad that you are in the swing of things. I am hoping to say that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to do those lesson plans and it is often on Sunday. Sometimes I wish they were already done for me. It looks like you are studying some fun stuff! Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your week! I'm one of those doing lesson plans on weekends-ugh. And if we have a busy weekend, our Mondays don't go so well. Great forethought on your part;-) Gotta love those Pauline Press books (like Stan's)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading how moms are doing with certain cirricula. the Seton books look about right for my daughter too. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails