Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Remembering Dad

Please keep my father (and family) in your prayers today as we celebrate and remember his life.



















Dad was half Irish - half  English...but  considered himself  ALL Irish.  

With a twinkle in his eyes, he'd be happy to tell you, "There are two kinds of people in the world:  those that are Irish and those who wish they were!"


The Servant Song - Whenever it is sung in church, I always think of my father.  It completely sums up his life on Earth as a man of faith.

And so I'd like to share it with you...
THE SERVANT SONG

by: Richard Gillard



1. Brother, let me be your servant.

Let me be as Christ to you.

Pray that I might have the grace

To let you be my servant, too.


2. We are pilgrims on a journey.

We are brothers on the road.

We are here to help each other

Walk the mile and bear the load.



3. I will hold the Christ-light for you

In the night time of your fear.

I will hold my hand out to you;

Speak the peace you long to hear.



4. I will weep when you are weeping.

When you laugh, I'll laugh with you.

I will share your joy and sorrow

Till we've seen this journey through.



5. When we sing to God in heaven,

We shall find such harmony

Born of all we've known together

Of Christ's love and agony.



(Repeat Verse #1)


9 comments:

  1. Patty-
    That is one of my favorites as well. There are actually two versions of "The Servant Song." The one you included is by Richard Gillard. The other less common version is by Donna Marie McCargill. Here is the link to the other version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfHWNx8Xlxk She was a nun at Creighton. You may have heard it there. I know your dad loved both versions. Listening to both versions is a daily instruction manual for living life!
    Karl

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that you have happy memories of your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. a beautiful song. a beautiful father, a many loving memories I'm sure you have in your heart forever. Thank goodness we know we will see our departed loved ones again. I'm praying for you and your family today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for the prayers, thoughts, and kind words. They mean so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My prayers were with you today, Patty! Interesting fact..tomorrow is my parents anniversary...the first since Dad died. If you think of it, offer up a prayer for them.

    God bless!...Sounds like he blessed you with good friends and smiles today already!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patty, I am late reading your post (busy week) but wanted to share - I am IRISH too! Your pop came from good stock. I know how very special he IS and was to you. Daddy's are forever after all. Big hugs. XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot imagine the emotion that goes with the loss of a parent. I know losing my last grandparent recently was full of emotion... In any case, I wanted to let you know we are praying for the repose of your dad's soul and for the peace of your family as you celebrate his life and look forward to joining Him in Heaven one day, while still finding joy in life here.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails