Saturday, October 9, 2010

Our Last Dance

Thursday-Thinking I'd take a leisurely day, visit my friend Sondra in the hospital, and get a couple of chores done around the house...wrong-o!

At 8:30 am, a bunch of littles approached me and reminded me about the state fair...one we've heard plenty about but never had the privilege of attending.  Sure enough, I looked at the tickets and we needed to use them THAT day. 

Crap! (Sorry.)

I wasn't prepared mentally, physically, nor picnicky...is that a word?  We like to bring picnic lunches  to shave off the expense of things.

So I was sitting in my pj's...in shock...thinking of the task at hand. 

The rush hour commute!  Food for a picnic lunch!  Never been there...needed advice...so unprepared!

Hubby-dear encouraged me by assisting us out the door...I'm sure he was reveling in the aspect of having the house to himself...peace and quiet...for the entire day!  The only thing that I've desired ...like... forever?!

And off we were...directions in hand.

Let me say, we rocked that fair!

We arrived...Seniors Day...Home School Student Day...Who was the brains behind that combo?!

Kids practically trampling walkers.  A site to behold! 

Actually, it was the happiest of both worlds...kids running in awe...the elderly enjoying the joy written all over the kids' faces.

At first, feeling a wee bit discombobulated by the share enormity of the venue...littles complaining of hunger pains within 15 minutes of walking through the gates...needing to go pee-pee immediately...standing like a dork trying to figure out the map...head spinning in circles...vowing that we'd never do this again...I ran into my first friend!

A home school family who lovingly directed us to some fantastic shows and even lent her watch to me.  God bless you, Mary Joan!

She elevated us to the point of relief...which lead to happiness...which lead to total joy by the end of the day.  Except for Stan...(always one in the group, right?)

We were greeted by Big Tex...a 52 foot tall statue...wears a size 70 cowboy boot...and a 75 gallon Stetson cowboy hat.

































































We took in a dog show, a birds from around the world show...even saw a "Where in the World Is Stanley." Some very proud grandparents where just snapping away to get his photo...so did I!





































We went under the big top to watch a Circus In Your Backyard.  This was so. so. so. cute!  Crowd (kid)participation.  Catchy little jokes that only moms and dads would understand.  Happy little faces.  Lots of oohs and aaahs, and endless imagination.









































Mabel was picked to be one of the butterflies...she loved it! 
























Stan was down in the dumps when he was not picked to be the human cannonball.

 He found other interests though...grrrrrr....






































We moved onto the animals. 







































We took in more and more sites and smells...even ran into yet two more home school families that we knew!





The weather was gorgeous and the Midway was beckoning! 

So we rode the rides.






Then we went on The Texas Star...




With some views from the top...212 ft (65 m), 21 stories up in fact...





Saw this man ...just had to take a photo of it!





Exhausted...filled to the brim with happiness (except Stan...still recovering from the sleep over)...we marched toward the exit gate.  What a ride!  What a fair!  What a day!

Exiting our vacation from school on a good note...and oh-so-ready for a nice soak in the tub. 




9 comments:

  1. That looks like a lot of fun! Thanks for stopping by from Soulemama. Just the title of your blog alone is enough to entice me! CHocolate is my friend. :) And I see we have other things in common too. Like little Asian beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patty!
    I saw your comment and follow on my blog via Jen's blog! Thanks for your visit! This looks like alot of (unexpected) fun at the fair! So glad your day turned out wonderful! I'm not sure I would be as *nice* as you to let my hubby off the hook :) I would have *made* my husband come along for the ride ;) I love my 4 children and chocolate too!
    Have a blessed weekend!
    Tracy at "A Slice of Smith Life"
    http://www.asliceofsmithlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a really great day! That man's shirt is hilarious...glad he has a good sense of humor about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a fantastic day!! You are right - they never are all happy at the same time :) You are so brave to go on that Ferris Wheel - and you are a fun mom for taking your kids on such an adventure. Awesome way to wrap up your staycation!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you all do the coolest things. Here's that post you were looking for:
    http://lovemylittleflower.blogspot.com/2010/07/finding-holiness-in-craft-basket.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love your humorous writing...You always bring a smile to my face:-) Boy, lots of real Texas spirit at that fair! Love your photos, especially the shadows at the end. Love the animals...my favorite part of a fair. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All I can say is that YOU Rock as a Momma!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails