Monday, July 12, 2010

The Mother Road




Okay...so...day two of the trip back to TX is like really, really dragging.  The happy-happy...joy-joy has faded way back somewhere near St. Louis. Fights are breaking out.  (Unlike my mother, I have no 'instrument of peace').  There are dark circles under every pair of eyeballs.  The inside of the van looks like a train wreck.  And to top it all off....unexpectedly...I just got my period!!!  Don't 'ya just love when that happens?  Oh, happy-happy, joy-joy!


We stopped at this McDonald's just for kicks...






































I was going to write a nice post on the history and uniqueness of Rt. 66...but, since I'm not feeling the love in the van right now....I thought I'd throw in some interesting pictures that I took along the way.







Built back in 1926, you can still enjoy some cool views from the old Mother Road.  It originates in Chicago, crosses through St. Louis,  to Tulsa, down through the panhandle of Texas, across New Mexico, Arizona and ends at Santa Monica Pier in California.






Traveling on it from Joplin, MO through Springfield, IL, we saw some neat views along the way.  I would love to have seen it back in its' hey day..although, I cannot imagine having crossed the dessert in AZ before there were campgrounds with water and electric! 




"...long ago, cars didn't drive on it to make good time.  They drove on it to have a good time."

2 comments:

  1. I have really enjoyed all of your vacation photos, thanks for sharing! BTW, just about every vacation we take I get my period...it is a running joke with my dh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these pictures! It looks like so much fun!

    P.S. I left you an award at my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails