Monday, June 23, 2014

Stay-cation Hawaiian Falls

Had a bit of a worry there when we woke up early this morning to the sounds of thunder and rain.

Of course we are in a severe drought, and the day the skies decide to open up is the day we planned to go to the water park.  (Murphy's Law, right?)

Watching the weather reports, we were suppose to go from 71 degrees and raining to 91 degrees and sunny by noon.  So we packed our cooler, put on our swim suits, and headed out.

Hawaiian Falls.  

It! Was! Awesome!


It was also chilly (by Texas standards.) But, the weather channel proved correct, and by noon it was turning into a gorgeous day.  (Because of the early  morning rain, and it being a Monday, there weren't a lot of people at the park.  Lucky for us!)


Look at that!  There's like no one in that water playground but my tribe.  David told the dare devils to get going, take advantage of the no-lines at the big slides.


90 minutes into the day, the Texas sun broke out and things heated up pretty darn quick.  The water ended up feeling so refreshing!






I didn't take a bunch of photos.  Instead, I took a ton of video footage with my camera, hoping to make a fun movie out of it all!  (That's my plan at least.  Things always look better on paper.)

So I have to tell you about this Hawaiian Falls, folks.

Family Friendly ::  GREAT crowd, bathing suit code, no alcohol, no foul language, family friendly music, clean, happy employees, (just to name a few.)

I cannot believe we haven't gone there until today.  Our day totally blows Six Flags out of the water (even with our free Six Flags reading program tickets!)


I may get  some reader hot under the collar when I write this next statement, but since I was so shocked over it, I have to share.

I saw only a few female bodies covered in tattoos today.  And that floored me!!!  Seriously, folks.  Anymore, every Kit, Kat, and Katy has some body art displayed for all to see, except for me.  ( I know I'm not the only one, but I am in the minority for having ink-free skin. Or so it seems.)

I degress...

This place had a  "D.J" who organized umpteen games for kids to compete in.  Miss Mabel and Miss Ester gave the hula hoop contest a whirl.



So how did we float this stay-cation day?  Because these parks can cost $$, and I love a good bargain.

Cabana.  We rented a private one.  The rental gave us discounted tickets for the day, free locker, unlimited drinks, and our own private cabana waiter (very cool BTW!)

Cabana $100.00

Discount tickets for 6 @ $18.99 (two year old and under is FREE) = $113.94

Cooler Pass $10*

*We packed our own lunch items.

Bottled water.  Bring your own at no charge.

Free drinks (Iced Tea, lemonade, powerade, soda).

Fees and taxes $15.68

Total :  $239.62

Here's where it gets good!  You may recall that I wrote a post back a month or so ago stating how I got David to "Patty-tize" the garage??

Well....he decided to sell two big ticket items (a lawn mower and a van/tent), receiving payment of $190 total.

Total : $239.00

LESS
           $190.00 
--------------------

$49.00 is what we paid out of pocket for today's festivities!  (Insert snapping Z!)

And you ask...was the cabana necessary??


( I rest my case ;)


It really was an awesome day.

As I type this post?  My kids were all in bed by 9pm.  I'm on my way there, too.

Have a fantastic week!

BTW, how many stay-cation days do we have planned?  Just one more.  (We have something planned for when my  mom flies down for the Fourth!  Think cowboys, bulls, BBQ, and chuck wagon races!  YeeHaw!)

~  Patty  ~

11 comments:

  1. I'm not sure what I laughed more at....the tattoo thing, or the "insert snapping Z" thing. Hysterical, Patty. I am glad you had a great day. It looks like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you had a wonderful day. I'm glad the weather cooperated for you.
    I understand about feeling like being the only one tat free. Last year when we went to the water park almost everyone had one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a big water park fan, but my kids are (except the biggest) and they would love that place. I know what you mean about tattoos. It must be a VERY lucrative business these days.

    You're littlest dolly sure does look cute in the lounge chair next to daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun!
    My kids would have loved it!
    Me? I'd be in that shady cabana with a book or two. : )
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like so much fun! I'd say the Cabana was totally worth it! Love the picture of Clementine & David...SO CUTE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like a really wonderful water park!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great post! You're cracking me up! I loved your pics so much, I reserved a cabana for Monday myself! Can't wait! Thanks for the great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. God provides. What a great day! Most of our vacations when the kids were growing up were stay-cations. We went to parks and the beach for the day. We spent many summers at church camps and retreats and youth trips like Six Flags and Stone Mountain because we were youth directors and the kids thought we always had vacation with all the teenagers. Looks like ya'll had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, looks like so much fun!! I'm hoping to go down to TX someday (on my bucket list) so if I take kids, I'll have to go to Hawaiian Falls. I love how you braved the "chilly" weather...it's barely been above 80 here in the Portland OR area. ;o) Becky ps I'm ink-free too! totally understand!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are no words, Patty. None. I cannot even say how awesome and fun that looks!! And you totally scored a super deal, saved a ton and had an amazing staycation day. Now this reminds me that I need to get my butt going and plan some fun around here!! Perhaps we need to staycation it again this year. I've gotta get me some deals!!

    Thanks for sharing your family fun day with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Patty! With the swimmers you have, this park would be a home run for sure! The day looked so sunny and fun, and that water! So blue!! What a great thing to have a DJ running some games too, to make sure everyone has fun (especially those finicky teenagers!)
    I LOVE the cabana idea. A good place to group, and rest out of the sun. Kinda makes me wish I was there too :)
    You're having a fun, and frugal summer my friend. Thanks for sharing it!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and for leaving a comment :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails