Sunday, June 29, 2014

Fishermen of Faith


Today is the feast of Sts. Peter and Paul, Fishermen of Faith.  To celebrate these two men of faith, we made sailboat cupcakes.  (I found the adorable idea over at Catholic Cuisine.)

Mabel baked the cupcakes (yellow cake mix), and once they cooled, we frosted them with  blue frosting I found at the store.



Walmart had the orange slices (boats).






 Ester put them into these CHARMING  Whales and Waves cupcake wrappers I found on etsy at Oooh La La Paperie.




*I've used Oooh La La Paperie before for Miss Ester's horse-themed birthday party.  The ladies do such lovely work!  (I highly recommend them.)



Why Fishermen of Faith?

Fish: the fish -- ever-watchful with its unblinking eyes -- was one of the most important symbols of Christ to the early Christians. In Greek, the phrase, "Jesus Christ, Son of God Savior," is "Iesous Christos Theou Yios Soter." The first letters of each of these Greek words, when put together, spell "ichthys," the Greek word for "fish" (ICQUS ). This symbol can be seen in the Sacraments Chapel of the Catacombs of St. Callistus. Because of the story of the miracle of the loaves and fishes, the fish symbolized, too, the Eucharist 

I found the link to the source of that paragraph on Catholic Cuisine.

*I know whales are not fish, but these were the closest to fish I could find.

The story behind the symbols on the sails:

Jessica's explanation is perfect ~

St. Peter's Shield ::  (Download  image at Scribd)  The Keys are the symbol of St. Peter, the authority of the papacy, and the Church's power to "bind and loose" (Matthew 16:19 and Isaiah 22).  One key represents Excommunication, a locked door to the unrepentant sinner.   The other key stands for Absolution, the open door to the Kingdom of Heaven for the repentant sinner. 




St. Paul's Shield :: (Download Image at Scribd)  Saint Paul has the sword assigned to him because he was a persecutor of the Church. The book is a symbol of his conversion into the greatest preacher of the Church. The great change in Saint Paul shows itself in this that he afterward speaks of the Word of God and the Sword of the Spirit (Ephesians 6:17).










Easy to make, especially with so many hands to help me out; a super fun way to celebrate this feast day!

I also added some new holy cards to the kids' collections :



Sts. Peter and Paul, pray for us!

~ Patty  ~

17 comments:

  1. What beautiful creations you all made for this special feast! I found a new love for these Saints on my Rome pilgrimage:) Have a beautiful day, beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you did!!! How I would have loved to walk in your shoes while over there!! But I'll live vicariously through you and your pics ;) enjoy your Sunday!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Billie JO! Still dreaming of that double oven...someday, right?!

      Delete
  3. Those are awesome. And you planned ahead so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks, Barbara! I love when the internet is a "good" thing (like helping me find creative ideas!)

      Delete
  4. I love how you celebrated the feast day. Don't mind me while I stockpile cute ideas like this...

    Gorgeous and creative cupcakes too. Bravo, mama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stock pile away! I do the same thing (obviously!)

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful way to teach your children. I love learned about your faith.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great lesson and a fun activity; not to mention a yummy treat! A win-win-WIN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly was a fun lesson. My friend Tiffany spent a couple of weeks in Rome this past winter and I shared her online photos with some of the kids. They were so impressed with the tombs of St. Paul and St. Peter!

      Delete
  7. ya know what? I was at Mass today thinking, "I wonder what Patty did to celebrate this occasion?" Seriously, I did!!! You outdid yourself for sure! Love it all! xo tara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad the internet was there to assist me!!! Thanks, Tara!

      Delete
  8. I love this!! The cupcakes turned out so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laurie! Still thinking about the beautiful wedding pictures over on your blog. :)

      Delete
  9. WOW! That's all I can say. I'm impressed by your culinary skills.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and for leaving a comment :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails